Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Unreasonable Little Man

My Hero was reading George Bernard Shaw quotes last night. One made him laugh out loud, so he read it to me.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself...
"That's Peanut Butter!" I interrupted. It's gratifying to hear put into words something you've never quite been able to describe accurately. Peanut Butter doesn't "adjust", he keeps demanding what he knows he wants with unbelievable persistence. That's who he is since he was born and decided that I, his mom, was the only one who should care for him. I left him with My Hero for a few hours every week because no matter how much he hated it, I was determined that he would learn to spend a little time with his own father. He screamed the entire time I was gone, every week. I almost never left him with anyone else until he was a year old and developed a more open mind about these things. Nowadays I'm constantly torn between battling him to conform to the way we do things and letting him be himself. It has to be a balance, because demanding conformity is only so successful; I'd have to somehow crush his will if I wanted total conformity, but if left to his own ways he becomes more and more unreasonable until he's not good for anybody, even himself. So we pick our battles and brace ourselves for the mighty clash each confrontation brings.
Anyway, I had interrupted the quotation before it had concluded. My Hero finished reading,
...Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

1 comment:

Laura said...

This is a really interesting idea. Won't it be exciting to see what God has planned for these crazy little personalities we get to spend every day with?!