Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Unlimited Good Things

How do you maintain balance when you have unlimited access to good things? Like blogging. I could read blogs all day long, if I didn't have other commitments like putting food on the table, keeping us all clean, and, you know, molding the characters and educating the minds of two little boys. I could stay up all night reading blogs, and last night I did...stayed up too late reading blogs. But why stop when they offer mental stimulation, compelling arguments about worthy topics, challenges to me of the physical, mental, and spiritual sort? I ask again, how do you maintain balance when you have unlimited access to good things?

The answer seems fairly obvious when I put my quandary into words on a screen. Plan it into the day, because it's valuable, but don't spend endless unaccounted for hours doing it, because then the rest of life suffers. It's only valuable in its place. Out of balance, and it becomes a problem, not a blessing.

Like anything good.

1 comment:

WendyDarling said...

Man, I have done the SAME thing! It can be addictive if you let it.