Saturday, February 14, 2009

Day 5: A Turning Point?

I'm noticing an improvement in Peanut Butter's demeanor. Or maybe it was just a good day yesterday. I know the most important thing is to stay vigilant, or we'll lose any progress we've made by reverting back to the old familiar habits. He still responded with wails several times yesterday, but he also responded with a cheerful, "Okay, Mom," seven or eight times as well. Those were usually after he asked me if it was okay to do something and I said no. At least half the time he was probably expecting a no, since they were things I don't allow, but I'm encouraged every time that cheery response is practiced.

Today I'm working on finishing up recording an audiobook as a valentine gift for My Hero. He spends long hours on the road, and he can put my recordings on his ipod and listen as he drives. The Richest Man Who Ever Lived: King Solomon's Secrets to Success, Wealth, and Happiness draws principles for success from the book of Proverbs. The author lost 9 jobs in his first six years after college, then began to read the book of Proverbs every day and write down what he was learning. It was the turning point for him. His tenth job was partnering with a mentor and starting a company that has made billions of dollars. He attributes his success to the book of Proverbs. It was reading his book that made me realise I need to write down a plan for establishing the habits I want to form in myself and in my kids. I'm hoping today I can finish recording the book (during naptime, and while my boys are visiting my grandparents this morning), so when My Hero gets home from work his gift will be ready.

No comments: