Thursday, January 15, 2009

His speech will be intelligable soon enough.

Peanut Butter has learned to speak, and can say almost anything he wants to, but often I still can't understand what he's saying unless I know the context and get help by what he's pointing to or what he's doing. People outside our immediate family have difficulty understanding much that he says at all. I'm working on trying to help him stop and hear the sounds he says and practice saying words correctly, to help prevent him from forming bad speaking habits he won't bother to unlearn, but he still has a long way to go.

I'm just not sure that's a bad thing as yet. Several times in the past few months I've been silently grateful that those around us can't understand what he says.

I love how honest kids are, and how when they're small you never have to wonder what they really think or if they're just acting like they're interested in what you're saying when they're really not. If they're not happy to see someone, there's no hiding it. Which is okay most of the time, but once in a while I'm really glad for a language barrier between my uninhibited 2 year old and unsuspecting adults around us.

Today Christopher Robin and Peanut Butter tromped down the stairs to the children's section of the library, and I followed carrying Raindrop in her carseat. At the bottom, as I began hanging up coats and bags, Peanut Butter looked me in the eyes and said, "Bissus Bennet 'as bunny ah." I glanced up in surprise and was greated by Mrs. Bennet, the children's story hour host, her hair nicely styled as though she just come from the salon. I greeted her warmly, silently thankful that her morning wasn't tainted by a small boy's uninformed opinion that she had "funny hair".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the way he talks! I was all in giggles over his comment about Mrs. Bennet. he he he
Give the kids a hug and a kiss for me. <3
~DLS

Anonymous said...

I got such a good laugh out of this story! There definitely are reasons to be greatful that not everyone can understand what he has to say!